The Bedfordshire Road Cycling Club was founded on Saturday, 20th October, 1923, at the Sun Hotel, Biggleswade, at a meeting following the inaugural club run from the Town Hall, Bedford. The twelve present, together with two others, are acknowledged as Founder Members, as follows:-
B. Greaves, W. Haylock, R. A. Marston, R. N. Wellham, F. L. Pacey, G. Deag, W. Murdoch, R. Shelton, H. K. Greaves, P. Wright, J. Aynesley, R. Cox, C. Lancaster and J. Elstow.
The first Annual General Meeting was held in the same venue on 20th October later that year, read the minutes of the first AGM.
Expanding steadily, the Club offered facilities for every type of cycling enthusiast. The attractive runs programme arranged included frequent Youth Hostel fixtures, giving ample opportunities to enjoy club life and cycling at its best. This was further strengthened by the issue of the Club’s own publication, the Bedfordshire Cyclist.
On the racing side, a complete Club events programme was arranged, with members competing for valuable trophies. “Open” events were organised too. The Club had the honour of promoting the first Ladies’ National Championship 25-mile time-trial, and inaugurated the present handsome Championship Trophy competed for in this annual event.
The Club’s own Headquarters — the “Memorial” Clubhouse opened on Sunday 3rd April 1949, by the President’s wife, Mrs W Haylock — was erected by members and dedicated to the memory of five Club mates who gave their lives in World War II. Complete social and training facilities were arranged to suit members’ needs.
Membership of the Club has always been open to males and females of all ages, and a warm welcome is given to keen cyclists interested in organised club riding.
The club welcomes all nationalities - Past and Present Members have come from the following:- UK, Eire, USA, Australia, Denmark, Germany, Guyana, Argentina, Poland, Italy, Zimbabwe and many other countries.